4.29.2010

Corners...


Have you ever felt that you were backed in a corner and the only way that you could get out is to fight your way out? That is how I have been feeling a couple of situations in my life. My husband and I lived with his parents for about two years and recently (in Feb.) moved out of their house into our “own” small apartment. We chose a location that was semi close to I-10 but also gave us easy access to the U of A since I am going to school there. I wanted it to be close enough that I could ride my bike or take the bus (without having a ride that takes more than 30 minutes). We were in heaven… for about 4.5 weeks.


Then other people in my life made choices. These choices were careless and selfish and had reverberating affects on many people. So, after talking with my husband and attempting to convince him that it is okay for us to be selfish in this aspect, I was overruled (he is the sweetest, most caring, generous person that I know). The day after my 27th birthday, my husband and I became the "helpers." Happy birthday to me. Not really. More like goodbye freedom. Hello cigarette smoke. Hello confinement. Hello craziness.

The problem is that we can't just give up on family, we must stick by them and be there even when it is hard and frustrating and we're hanging on to the knot we tied at the end of our rope of patience. But the other problem is that I am barely hanging on to that rope but I feel like there is nothing I can do about it. I have never been on this side of the situation (before it was my in-laws letting my husband and me stay with them while I was recovering from Vally Fever and then letting us stay a little longer while we caught up on bills that had accumulated from the treatment). So, being the one that is the "helper" is different for me. AND HARDER. Which explains why I feel backed into a corner!

Anyone been in this type of situation before? How did you cope?

No comments:

Post a Comment