4.24.2010

Overreaction

I totally overreacted when I wrote about how I thought people were going to react to my new hair style. Everyone loves it (or they just used the ‘if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all’ rule!) Including the kids at my job. I was “amping” myself up thinking I was going to have to defend my sexuality or femininity and I didn’t have to. The only thing the kids asked was why I would cut all of my hair off. Then I had to explain to them that the braids were not my real hair, they were kind of like extensions (meaning that I attach them to my real hair, not that they are my real hair). They looked a little confused still, but a little later one of the kids asked what extensions are.

So I said,“ Remember in elementary school when you and your friends would get that string tied around your hair? It had all kinds of colors and you and your friends, or people you saw had it so that their hair was the same? It’s like that. The ‘extra’ hair is separate and I just attach it.”
For some reason, that explanation made much more sense. So if you’re ever in a position where you need to explain what braided extensions are, you can just use that example. I’m letting you have it and take all the credit for it… no charge.

I said all this to say that I got all worked about my hair for nothing. It’s been a pretty decent week.

1 comment:

  1. I think it’s so funny how everyone does that to themselves. You get all this anxiety about thinking of the reactions of everyone else. And in the end it’s no bog deal at all. And by the way I think your hair looks great as well. I would have been scared of kids though. They always seem to tell their opinion so honestly, but not understand what they’re actually saying, you know what I mean? The kids I used to nanny would always pull that trick on me. They’d be like chelsey, I think you should go change before we leave, because he didn’t like my shirt or my pants or something. Or they’d say a funny comment about my hair one day or anything else they didn’t like at the time. But it sounds like you passed the test! And the fact that you can pull off all these looks is awesome, I’m pretty jealous. But seriously in the end it only matters if you like it anyways. Whatever you feel comfortable in or makes you feel like you.

    ReplyDelete