3.27.2010

A Real Question!!!

Question: Why is it that black women get braids in their hair when the end result is their hair falling out?

Answer: The normal end result is not having the hair fall out; that only happens when the braider (person braiding the hair) braids it too tight or when the person with the braided hair styles it and pulls it too tight. This happens because the hair is essentially getting pulled out by the roots… not good, to say the least. There are some warning signs that this is occurring:

• Itchy scalp
• Little bumps on the scalp- if this happens, remove the braids immediately
• If the braids hurt, they are too tight- take those suckers out!
(I got these tips from nappturality.com)

I will admit that when I got my hair done in the twists that I have now, it hurt like heck! I am not used to having people all up in my hair and pulling, etc. It was uncomfortable. But 5 hours later, when my hair was done, I could smile and turn my head all the way around. Which is not the normal case. Usually it hurts to smile. And no one will be permitted to touch the hair, for sure! (I had to put that in for my friend Kinfinity, lol). Touching the hair a ‘no-no’ because it frickin’ hurts! My husband stuck his hand out touch my hair the other day and I literally flinched in anticipation of the pain.

I’m happy to answer any other questions you may have,
La-a

4 comments:

  1. That's crazy! I've seen my friends get their hair put in braids and it looked like it was painful, but I figured that the pain would stop. I never knew that it could physically make your hair fall out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow! I love your blog. This is the first time I ventured onto your blog and I confess the colors are amazing, the question and answer concept is wonderful, and your witticisms are hilarious. When I first opened it I was not sure what to expect so when I came across the most recent blog (A Real Question!) I admit to being confused. Therefore, I strolled down to get the gist of your blog and I could not stop laughing when I read the blog titled “Any Questions”. I could feel your frustration and your sarcastic quip about not letting your comments about stupid questions deter us from asking… ha ha! I am a fan!

    I am curious – what made you decide to create an answer all blog for those curious about black culture? It is a great concept as it allows people to learn more about your heritage yet it is so different that it made me want to know your reasons behind it.

    I fully appreciate the question on the braids, though I admit to not knowing it caused hair to fall out. I have always been amazed that anyone had the patience to sit still for the time it takes to get braids. It looks pretty but blows my mind that anyone – children especially – can do it.

    Well, since this is a Q&A blog, I should offer a question. It is a tough one, after all I am an improve the world if I can help it kinda gal so I hope it works as a good question for you … As a black woman, what is the biggest issue you have when dealing with white women? Does the issue seem to be across the board with all women or just white? In addition, what do you suggest your readers should do to try to improve issues between our races and gender?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was getting ready for burning man in 2007 I decided it would be a wonderful idea to get my hair corn rowed then, I had worked for about a month braiding different colors of yarn and fake hair to sort of weave through the corn rows so I’d have a head full of crazy colors for the desert. Well, I can tell you one thing lady, OUCH!!! It was one of the most painful days…yes, days that I’ve ever had. It took the better part of 5 hours to get it all done and my goodness, I have such respect for anyone who can do that on a regular basis. The end result was fantastic though Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Student Mrs.- Crazy, right?

    Kat J- I answered your question in the March 29th blog. Hope it helps.

    Kinfinity- Lol! All that time to take it out so quickly! It does loosen up after a few days or so. Then it doesn't hurt. But you did the right thing taking them out since they were giving you so much pain.

    ReplyDelete