3.22.2010

Under Construction


(continued from "Good Hair" blog entry)

A perm is made up of a very strong chemical called sodium hydroxide a.k.a. creamy crack. And this mess is no joke! It is sometimes called creamy crack because once we get a relaxer, we are pretty much addicted for life. Getting off is nearly impossible so it seems that continuing the process is the only choice. Month after month; year after year. Held hostage by what we perceive to be a need. A mark of beauty. A symbol of social acceptance.

What I wanna know is why we (black women) are not satisfied with the hair the God gave us? I guess the same question can be posed for people who have naturally straight hair and do everything within their power to make it curly. Why? Why? Why?

Taking all of this into consideration- and marking another change that I have made in my life- I am not perming my hair EVER again or for at least 2 years or more- and then after that, I guess there won’t be real reason for me to start back on the “creamy crack.” My husband likes curly hair (although I am not sure he knows what he is asking for as far as I’m concerned) and so I am going to grow out my relaxer and see if underneath all- well, my hair is short by any standard but you know what I mean- of this chemically treated hair I still have it: good hair.

But, for now, I am under construction.

For more info: check out the movie “Good Hair” by Chris Rock. It’s kinda like Morgan Spurlock’s movie “Super Size Me” but for black hair. You can rent it at Blockbuster.

3 comments:

  1. I’m not sure why people, black, white or otherwise, spend so much time changing their appearance. But I do know that as confused as I am to why, I am one of them. My hair hasn’t been done for over a month now and the colors that I put in it are starting to grow out a bit and I am so looking forward to my stylist appointment! My mother always asks me why I would want to, “change the color of that beautiful red hair of yours” well you know what? I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I like having control over what I do with my hair (I never used to as a child) or maybe it’s just because I love all the pretty colors. Whatever the reason though, if changing your hair, your clothes, your lips whatever, makes you feel better about yourself, why not!? :)
    Also, I read a pretty interesting article just this morning titled, “Keep Your your Hands off The Hair": http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125020162&sc=fb&cc=fp
    I found the article relevant not only to this blog of course, since you are talking about going back to your natural curly hair but because I could totally relate to this woman’s experience. But wait, I’m a super white lady, how could I relate to what she’s saying? Well, I happen to have been blessed with amazingly red hair. When I was younger, clearly, I didn’t dye it and there it was, shining in all its red glory. I remember people ALWAYS wanting to touch it, they never asked, they would just reach down and start touching my head always with compliments but to me, it was terrifying. I was just a little kid and didn’t understand why all these people wanted to touch my hair. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that it’s pretty awesome to have such a unique feature but still, when people reach their hands out to touch me and my hair I jump back, you’ll have to ask first please.
    Love the picture! I’m sure you’ll look great and I promise, I’ll keep my hands to myself. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's me in the pic, silly! I look a little different with my hair this way.

    That article was hilarious! I don't think I mind as much when people ask first- a rarity- because then I, at least, have the option of saying 'yes' or 'no.'

    This whole conversation is reminding me of that TLC song called "So Pretty."

    Things that make you go hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam! I knew it was your in the picture, wasn't sure if it was recent or not :) Saw the hair in class yesterday, fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete