3.29.2010

"Does My Butt Look Fat?"


Question: As a black woman, what is the biggest issue you have in dealing with white women? Does this issue seem to be across the board with all women or just white? What do you suggest your readers should do to try to improve issues between our races and gender?

Answer: I can honestly say that I don’t have problems with white women per se. I usually just have problems with women. Not because I am so mean but because they ask rhetorical questions- not looking for a response- and I give them an answer.

“Does my butt look fat in this?” she will ask.
“Um, actually it does. Maybe you should try on some pants that have pockets on the butt to take the attention away from its size.”
“You are sooo mean!” she says appalled that I’ve told her what she already knows to be the truth.

The only time this could be a compliment is if "she" were wearing Apple Bottom brand jeans which have a special cut that apparently makes all butts look good... needless to say: "she" is not!

Why do women or people ask questions aloud that they don’t really want the answer to? It’s confusing. And I don’t want to be known as a liar. I take a sort of pride in knowing that I am telling the truth at all costs. I have a saying, “The truth is the truth no matter how much it hurts.”

So, to answer the first part of your question: I don’t have a problem with white women I have “problems” with women in general. Why must we be so confusing?
In response to part two of your question: In order to improve issues between races and our gender, we must begin teaching to judge people by their character and not their skin color (achemm! Sound familiar? Can I say Martin Luther King, Jr.???) There are good people and there are not so good people. The race or gender of a person is not the deciding factor of whether or not someone is a jerk. Judging people just by what’s on the outside is always uncalled for (although it seems to be the natural response) and helps perpetuate the hate that we see each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment