2.03.2010

Working in the Real World

I don’t know how I’m gonna cope when I have to get a ‘real job.’ I love my job at the school. Everyone knows that I love my school kids. But I was thinking the other day that this is the first time that I’ve had a job that I love going to everyday (it’s corny, but it’s true!) How am I going to survive in a world where I have to work all year long with no scheduled breaks? I really don’t know.

Besides that, all the teachers at work are awesome! It’s so nice after a good day (and a hard one) to go into the office/lunch room/conference room/health aide office (we have a really small school), take a deep breath and know that everything is gonna be okay because I have these people in the fight with me. Really. At the table, we laugh about things; we vent; we talk about stuff that’s happening in our lives outside of school; what’s going on in our student’s lives. What’s crazy is that we are all different but in many ways, we are all the same.

This is a situation where I am the “token black person” and I don’t mind. But it’s my fault anyway. When we are talking, someone will say something and I will voice the opinion for ‘all black people.’ Really? Ya, really: as if I know what every black person is thinking. I can’t figure out why; but it’s what I do. The funny thing is that I placed myself in this predicament completely on my own. For some reason, it’s okay when I put myself ‘there’ but not okay when I feel that I am “thrown” in there. Hmmm… I think I’m gonna have to think about that.

2 comments:

  1. How fun!! It sounds like you love your job Sam! that is something not a lot of people can say and truly mean it!I worked at a middle school once and oh man! the questions I would get! Not so much boys but the girls! they just wanted to know everything as if you are the person to follow. I cant remember having answered all of their questions, I do remember answering a lot of them with questions in order to get them to forget the original question and stray away on a different tangent.It almost always worked! Are you going to school for education? Whatever your choice may be do not be afraid, so long as you are following your heart and doing what truly makes you happy, challenges you and keeps you learning something new every day... you will never work a day in your life.

    Oh, and to answer your question from my blog, I am actually applying to graduate school for a Masters in Higher Education. I want to learn more about the policy and what are the underlying causes of why so many children are not pursuing a higher education and if they do, Why do not they graduate. I wanna learn about the broken system so I can one day help fix it.

    The real world is scary...I have no doubt you will be a great professional in whatever field you choose to go into. How old are your students that they are asking such questions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carolina. The kids range in age from 17-21.

    ReplyDelete