1.31.2010

Random

“Mrs. Sam, are you a virgin?” Ya, that’s a question that has been asked while I was working at the high school. What witty response did I give?
I said, “I’m married; deduce your answer from that.”
But I couldn’t even believe it. I mean, it’s nice that some of the students feel comfortable enough around me to ask such random questions, but…really?! That’s an interesting one. I let them ask me all sorts of questions but am I, maybe, expecting too much to require them to think the questions through before first? You know how teachers always say that there is no such thing as a stupid question? Those teachers are wrong! There are stupid questions and they deserve witty responses.
I always tell the kids that they can ask me anything but depending on what they ask, they may be the ones who end up embarrassed; not me. That usually causes them to pause before they succumb to the diarrhea of the mouth.
Although, maybe it wasn’t fair for me to just remind the student that I am married. I did once see a talk show where there were one or two married couples that had sex not more than once. The one lady made love to her husband only once, which resulted in her pregnancy! I know, right? What are the chances? (That was a rhetorical question).

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there are any stupid questions. I do think that students say stuff without thinking. I would imagine that most people would consider those types of questions a "stupid" question. I would simply answer the question and move on... but that is me.

    ReplyDelete