4.17.2010

Quitting

I recently came to the realization that I am totally failing my math class. And I am now fighting with myself so that I don’t quit. I am taking the class again in the summer, but I still have a couple of weeks left of this one. The problem is (that against my better judgment) I am throwing in the towel for the class that I am currently in. I feel like I am quitting. I know that I am quitting. I don’t want to quit.

I have worked really hard to understand the concepts but the results are not showing up when I take the exams. I’ve done all of the homework. I have joined a study group. I have swallowed my pride and asked my super smart husband for help (even though it kills me when he gives me that look that says “You should know this”); I have purchased “Calculus for Dummies” and “Calculus Know-It-All” books. I AM STILL FAILING!!!

I subscribe to this website that sends out weekly or biweekly inspirational quotes. Amazingly enough, all of the quotes this week were about refusing to quit.

“When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place.”
“Perseverance is a great element of success. If you knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” – Rudy Ruettiger
“Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.”

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I just read your comment on my post and it's funny how we ended up writing about the same thing this weekend. You're so right about not quitting, I've been struggling with my math class too and I actually withdrew from the class last week. Now that I read your post I feel like I should have seen it through. Well at least you understand the concepts in your class. I didn't know JACK about my class..haha

    But you're right about not quitting, we should all learn to finish strong because quitters never win. Thanks a lot for your words of encouragement and I love your blog page too, it's so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this makes me glad to know I'm not alone in the math world. I am currently taking a math class that I tried to take last semester but ended up having to withdraw from. And it is still so hard and I barely understand one thing about it. Even with all the help I’m getting. And your totally right…everything about it makes me want to give up and be done. But this time I have no choice. If I want to get into my major I must get a B in math. And I know I’m going to be fighting to barely make that B. It’s very discouraging and frustrating to not understand a concept that you try so hard to get. And at times I don’t think it’s quitting, I’m just not meant to ever understand anything about mathematics and will forever remain this way until I just pass with the grade I need and never have to take a class ever again. Can’t wait for that day. But until then I am completely stuck. Then after reading your quotes about quitting it gave me courage to push through this last bit and not give up on what I tried so hard on in the first place. It’s nice that you look to the positive and encouragement when you are struggling with something like this. It may seem small but in the end it’s just as big as anything else because it’s teaching something more than just math. So good luck with your class, you can do it! And remember your own encouragements, and I will remember them too, so thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tallafroprincess: The only quitters that win are those who quit drugs or smoking or some other sort of addiction, lol!

    Chelsey: Anyone can understand math, it just takes a good teacher, patience and perseverance. It looks like you're making it though. Keep it up...I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an astonishing imagination, even in the science of mathematics... We repeat, there was far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer.
    Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

    ReplyDelete